a guide to Iancu Dumitrescu and Ana-Maria Avram
Although two of the most compelling and exciting living composers (at least in my opinion), the work of Romanian composers Iancu Dumitrescu and Ana-Maria Avram remain largely unknown and underappreciated. I have thus made this web site to provide what little info I know and promote their amazing music. Please email me with any updates, corrections, or additions.
Josh Ronsen / joshronsen (at) yahoo.com
last update on 9 November 2010
Avram and Dumitrescu have their own website, which details their activities as composers, as members of the Hyperion Esemble and publishers of Edition Modern.
- Interview with AMA in Bananafish 15
- Interview with AMA in Musicworks #76 (translated from the French by me!). Musicworks should soon post the revised French version of it. The old French version is here.
- Abstract to interview with ID and AMA in Musicworks #71.
- Interview with ID published in Bananafish #12 that was originally published in French in Revue et Corgiee #29.
- Interview with ID at
Perfect Sound Forever (this appeared in Resonance 6.1)
- Interview with ID in French on the Edition Modern website. An English translation, translated by me, exisits.
- Interview with ID and AMA in French here. An English translation, translated by me, exisits.
- Interview with AMA on the history of Romanian music in French here. How 'bout someone else translating this?
- 2006 video interview (excerpts) with AMA and ID (in French)
- Interview with ID in the Wire #308 (October 2009)
Up-to-date discographies for Dumitrescu and Avram can be found on discogs.com.
These records can be ordered through Forced Exposure in
the USA. In Europe, ReR
(who have co-released 6 of the Editions Modern CD's) and V2_Archief
have these recordings. In Canada, Verge.
Iancu Dumitrescu / Ana-Maria Avram
16 Dr Draghiescu, Sect 5
idamahyp (at) clicknet.ro